Search by Keyword
Stun Gun FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions: Stun Guns
Why has the word "voltage" been removed from Streetwise brand stun guns?
If you are familiar with the personal stun gun market then you may have noticed that the voltage claims made by many brands have risen almost as fast as the United States national debt. We wanted to share with the progression of stun gun voltage amounts and let you know what Streetwise has done to maintain their integrity while at the same time allowing us to compete in this unregulated market where any voltage number can (and has been!) printed on a label.
We have been selling stun guns since early 2005. At that time, the highest voltage was around 300,000. The voltage began to rise slowly and appeared to “top out” at 1 million. Things started to change drastically about 5 years ago when many new "off brands" entered the market claiming these same units were 10 million, 15 million, even 20 million volts! From all the testimonies Streetwise has received from people using their stun guns we know they are an extremely effective means of self -defense, but their dealers were concerned that they were losing sales to these new brands claiming higher volts than theirs. They contacted electrical engineers in the US and stun gun factories in China and learned that the real voltage amount produced by a stun gun was very difficult to measure and verify. But they all agreed that it was not possible for a stun gun to produce over a million volts.
Streetwise’s Mission Statement is “to become the most trusted provider of products for Self Defense, Security, and Peace of Mind.” They knew that they could not participate in this voltage exaggeration if they wanted to fulfill this mission and continue our honest, straight-forward business approach. At the same time, they did not want their dealers to be at a disadvantage when competing with these high-voltage claims that were creating confusion in the marketplace. They knew they needed to have big numbers on our models but wanted their vendor advertising to be accurate (not to mention the possible legal ramifications of false advertising!). Streetwise decided to use high model numbers to show that their models are just as strong (in most cases, stronger) than their competitors' models that making these high voltage claims. This strategy has been very effective in helping their dealers sell these units. A good example of how this has helped their dealers compete is their Immobilizer cell phone stun gun. For several years, many different brands (including Streetwise) marketed this model at 900,000 volts. Then one company changed their packaging to state that it was 4.5 million volts! Although it was the same model as before, many retail customers believed this claim and sales on their 900,000-volt model dropped off. When Streetwise changed the name of their model to The Immobilizer 5 Million sales took off again. Just as a point of clarification, their goal is not to fool the end user into thinking that it is actually 5 million volts. In fact, they state clearly on their website and on the packaging that “Actual voltage is difficult to measure and verify, but this unit compares to other brands that claim to be 5,000,000 or more volts.” The good news is that we are starting to see some other brands follow Streetwise in removing “volts” from their packaging. Hopefully, this will help to restore credibility to how stun guns are marketed.
Why do you offer three different stun gun brands?
We understand that there different types of stun guns buyers and our goal is to provide our customers with a variety of self-defense stun gun models that may appeal to each of them. No matter what kind of stun gun you are looking for you can buy it from us at an affordable price. This gives our customers more options. By offering such a large variety, you will be a “one-stop stun gun shop” that will allow you to cater to most stun gun buyers.
What is the difference in your three stun gun brands: Streetwise, Police Force, and Jolt?
What brands offer a lifetime warranty and product liability insurance?
- The Streetwise brand is the one that has sold the longest. Through the years the Streetwise name has become one of the most recognizable brands in the market and has separated itself for competing brands for its superior quality. It is purchased primarily by individuals looking for a reputable brand, top quality, a lifetime warranty, and the peace of mind that comes from knowing they (or their loved one) are carrying a “time-tested” self-defense product. For this type of customer, the price is not their highest concern when making a buying decision.
- The Police Force brand is actually part of the Streetwise Brand but with an important difference. The Streetwise brand is designed for use by individuals whereas the Police Force brand is designed to be used on a regular basis by law enforcement or security professionals under rigorous conditions. In fact, most of these models are made of military grade aluminum making them as tough as those who carry them. Although Police Force is engineered to meet the demands of Police, Military and Security Professionals worldwide they are also available to anyone.
- The Jolt brand appeals to the buyer that is primarily driven by a low price and high model number. In the last several year's many new companies have entered the market, claiming very high voltage amounts and offering low prices. Although these new models offered no lifetime warranty, were not covered by any product liability insurance and were inferior to the “Streetwise quality”, our dealers still began to request some models that could compete with these low price points. Our answer has been the Jolt. Although the quality of the Jolt brand is better than most of the off brands, it is not as expensive as our other two brands.
Both Streetwise and Police Force offer a lifetime warranty and product liability insurance, Jolt does not.
What is the Streetwise Top Gun Series?
We understand that offering such a large selection of Streetwise models can be a little overwhelming, so to help the end user identify the best quality model in each style, they created a seal called “Top Gun Certification” which identifies the most elite model in each stun gun category. These models are designed for those who want the best protection money can buy. To help the buyer in retail stores the Top Gun logo is clearly visible on each packaging.
General Stun Gun Information
Stun guns are an excellent means of self-defense; first as a deterrent and, if need be, they can disable your attacker temporarily by delivering a non-lethal, high-voltage electric shock. Just test firing one of them into the air is often enough to stop an attack or aggressive activity. As the bright electric current pulsates between the test prongs it creates an intimidating electrical sight and sound. An attacker with any sense at all will stop in his tracks. If the sight and sound don't stop him a shock from the stun unit certainly will!
Simply touching him with the device will deliver a high voltage shock causing loss of balance and muscle control, confusion, and disorientation- bringing him to his knees and making him incapable of further aggressive activity. Full recovery takes about five to ten minutes. There is usually no permanent harm. Here is an actual quote from Sgt. Robert Williams who had to use one of our stun guns while working for VPS Security Company in California, 'I would like to say what a well-made product it is. It enabled me to take down 2 people safely and without any injury. This deterred the crowd that they were with until the police arrived.'
What makes Streetwise the leading brand of stun guns?
- Product Liability Insurance: Streetwise is one of the few brands that offer this insurance. We recommend that before you purchase any stun gun you should request a copy of the product liability insurance from your supplier. Many dealers assume that all suppliers carry this insurance on their stun guns, and are surprised to learn that most do not. Not only can we provide you with a copy of our certificate of insurance, but we are happy to add your company to the policy as an “additional issued,” at no cost to you. This policy is very expensive for us (which is why most companies don’t offer it), but we feel it is worth it to know that our dealers are protected.
- Largest Selection: With over 40 models for your buyers to choose from you can be a “one-stop shop” that can cater to all stun gun buyers. Some models are designed specifically for men, others like “the Hottie” for women and our “Security Guard” series for police and security personnel. Some models are cleverly disguised to look like a cell phone or a canister of perfume, and some are small and easy to conceal like the “Small Fry” series. Our stun batons are large and intimidating. We offer models to fit every budget. In addition, our “Jolt” series is designed for those who want a good quality stun gun and high model number at the lowest price possible. Our “Police Force” series is engineered to meet the demands of Police, Military and Security Professionals worldwide but are also available to civilians.
- Over 23 Years in Business: Streetwise has been in business since 1990. Our company President began by wholesaling security products out of the trunk of his car in Eastern North Carolina. Today they lead the stun gun industry with a brand that is sold throughout the US and exported to many foreign counties. Not only do they offer a great product line, they have the knowledge and experience to help their clients succeed.
- Industry Leading Customer Service: This may be one area where we outshine our competition the greatest. Although we are aggressively growing our product line customers often tell us they really wished we carried a certain type of product so they would not have to order it from another company because we are so much easier to work with. If you are tired of being treated like you are doing your supplier a favor by ordering from them then you will find our customer service refreshing. We genuinely enjoy serving our customers. We realize that ultimately we work for you and our success depends on making you successful. We put you in direct contact with the manufacturer.
- No Fake Voltage Claims: We strive to always do business in an honest, straight-forward manner. One way we do this is by not making exaggerated voltage claims so common in the stun gun industry today. For more details see: Why Has the Word "Voltage" Been Removed from Your Stun Guns?
- Life Time Warranty: Streetwise Stun Guns are of the highest quality and come with a lifetime warranty.
- Most Features: Streetwise offer a long list of features on each of their stun gun model. Some of the features include rechargeable batteries, LED lights, a built-in charging plug, safety switch, “grab guard” stun strips, long reach, disable pin, an optional disable plug, holster, rubberized armor coating, and a loud alarm.
- Brand Recognition: After more than 20 years in the forefront of the stun gun industry, Streetwise has established itself as the most trusted and recognized brand on the market today.
- Innovation: We are often asked, “what’s new?” Our goal is to keep you on the “Cutting Edge” by continually offering fresh and exciting new products. For instance, we revolutionized the stun gun industry with the Small Fry model, a stun gun so small it can fit into a pack of cigarettes. Before we introduced these stun guns were large and bulky. It took our competitors a couple of years to catch up with our technology and produce copies of this model. Today all major brands have followed us by offering this type of stun gun. This year alone we have added over 10 new models to our stun gun line and have many others currently “in the works”.
- Honest, Straight-forward Business Approach: In our more than 23 years in business we have had the privilege to serve thousands of satisfied customers. To read some of their testimonials click here. Although we have a high credit rating with Dunn and Bradstreet and an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau our motivation to maintain a high moral standard comes from a higher authority. We are committed to honoring God in both our personal lives and business dealings.
Secure Payment thru Paypal
Join our Mailing List